Saturday, January 30, 2016

Much To Learn


¡Hola!  My name is Sandy Koplitz and I teach Spanish 1 and 2 at Central York High School.  I have been at Central for 20 years.  Most of that time was spent teaching an Exploratory Spanish class to 7th and 8th graders.  It was loads of fun and I loved it!  Because of some necessary curriculum changes (all of our students in grades 4 - 12 now have iPads) I was moved to the HS to teach.  I am enjoying this new position but I admit I started out a bit "rusty" and have spent lots of time figuring out how my teaching style will best integrate into this new setting.

 I love to try new things but I'm not great at the "go figure it out on your own" mindset.  I usually need help, but with good instructions I am ready to provide more interest building technology and activities into my classes.  I am excited about learning and using new tools to engage my students!  

The most techie lesson I have taught was with my 8th graders when they used MacBooks.  They created a weather report in Garage Band.  One of our Tech Integration Coaches provided support for first couple of periods and then the kids and I explored as we went.  Fortunately, our students love teaching us stuff!  I learned all the needed knowledge to handle the small glitches and the projects were creative and entertaining.   Now, I rely on my students to teach each other when using a new app.  I watch and learn too!

I am looking forward to learning about tech tools and apps that connect directly with world language learners.  I especially want to focus on getting them talking more and being comfortable trying out their new skills and vocabulary.   Let's get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment